While you are reading a book to your child, or while he or she is reading to you, there are some questions you can ask to enhance the meaning of the book and to help your child stay focused and do some more thinking about what he or she is reading. Don’t ask them all at once, but stop every few pages to discuss.
- Look at the picture. Predict what will happen next.
- Who is the main character? Describe the main character in a couple of words.
- Summarize (tell about) what you have read so far.
- Ask who, what, when, where, why, and how questions.
- What conclusions can you draw about the story or what facts have your learned so far?