This is a question asked by lots of parents this time of year with the school year close to ending.
Research shows that children take four to six weeks at the start of the new school year to gain back knowledge and skills lost over the summer. That doesn’t need to be your child. Summer tutoring is not just for students that are struggling. It is for all students so that they can retain the information learned from one school year in order to continue right on learning when the new school year begins.
Summer tutoring benefits everyone. As a parent, you have the best intentions of having your child read, write, and do some math daily, or at least weekly. But then, things come up and that reading doesn’t seem to fit in. With a tutor, you have a scheduled hour once or twice a week where you know your child is learning.
Here are some questions to ask yourself if you are considering hiring a tutor for your child this summer. If you answer yes to any of the questions below, then your child might benefit from summer tutoring.
- Has your child fallen behind his/her classmates in reading or math skills?
- Does your child struggle with simple math facts or spelling words?
- Is your child expressing concerns about not being able to read, write, or do math as well as his/her friends?
- Has your child’s teacher suggested he/she could use some extra help?
- Do you want your child to be ahead of the curve when school starts again in the fall?
- Do you want your child to retain and review the skills he/she learned this year?
As a private tutor, I try to make summer tutoring a little more laid back and a lot of fun. However, my students are working hard and learning a lot as well. We play lots of learning games, read books that are of high interest to each individual student, and write fun stories and paragraphs about great topics. The students work on skills from the previous school year, as well as skills they will learn in the coming school year. It’s a great review and a super head start.
If you are considering a tutoring and live in the Colorado Springs area, please email me or give me a call and I can tell you more about summer tutoring. Spaces are limited, so don’t hesitate to contact me soon. Michelle Drake firstname.lastname@example.org 760-672-8668