Summer is over and school has begun. Are you ready for the school year? Are your children ready for a successful new year? Here are some things you can do that will help your children have the great year you want them to have.
- Begin a routine right away. When will your children do homework? When will they play? When will you have family reading time? Once you have established a routine, stick to it as much as you can. Kids crave and thrive on routine so they know what is expected of them. For help establishing a homework routine, see my blog here.
- Ask your children questions about school so that you know what is going on in their lives? Be sure to ask open-ended questions as I have suggested in my questions blog so that you don’t just get yes/no answers.
- Establish a family reading time each evening and enjoy reading together. Reading is a life-long skill that will help your children now and in their futures.
- Be positive about new teachers, new friends, new classrooms, new homework amount, etc. Your children will follow your lead with their attitudes.
- Give your children time to play. Don’t overschedule them with extra-curricular activities. They work hard all day and they need a little downtime just like adults do.
Enjoy the new school year ahead! And, remember to check my blog for helpful hints, tricks, and information.